Thursday, October 11, 2007

Clueless Mom, Part Two

Bake Sale 101.

Last night Scott and I made rice krispy lollipops. The sticky part was balling the rice krispy treats with my hands. He pushed the sticks into them and I dipped them into white chocolate. He helped again by sprinkling fun colorful shaped sprinkles onto the chocolate. After the chocolate hardened I saran wrapped them and tied colorful curling ribbons, which matched the color of the sprinkles, onto the sticks. They looked scrumptious.

Today we had the bake sale and raffle sale during lunch period, from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. There were three lunch periods for the different grades. I was so happy to see our lollipops was the first to go. My job was to sell the baked goodies. This was an exciting experience for me. During each period the children in the cafeteria would sing a special happy birthday song for each birthday child. I was lucky, I got to hear 2 in a row during second period.

The principal seemed very involved with the children. He knew each child by name. The children would go up to him and say hi or ask him a question. Then I noticed one child after another started raising their hands. I thought they had to go use the restroom. The principle would go over and take a look at what they ate before dismissing them outdoors for recess.
Come to find out that the children have to eat half their lunch before they could go outdoors. What a clever idea.

I need to bake more rice krispy lollipops, a special request from Amanda's teacher for the school's Halloween party. Soon this mommy will be a pro at the bake sales.

No comments: