Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Clueless Mom, Part One

I was a part time designer that worked full time hours. The time with my children was consisted of playing, having playdates and outings. Where I live, about 75% of the Moms are stay-at-home Moms. I loved design too much to consider staying at home. Here is one of my experiences of being a working mom...

My son started school, the day after Labor Day and I thought I would hear more about after school sports. After talking to some Moms that hang out after school in the playground, I found out that the school doesn't offer sports, not until Middle School. For Elementary School the sport programs are offered through the Town Recreation Department. I thought great, let me do that. After more research, they already had signed up back in the spring time for fall sports, too late.

Getting more information from the Moms, I find out everyone knows everyone through playdates. The ones I didn't go to because I worked and my kids were at daycare. All their kids played sports through the Rec. Dept. since the age of 3. Okay, I haven't taught my child any sports on the weekend. Forget the weekday, by the time I picked them up from daycare it's dinner, bath and bed time.

Thank goodness there were books for me... What to Expect when You are Expecting, What to Expect for the First Year and What to Expect from Your Toddler. What about now...I am lost and clueless. Now that I am a freelancer, my hours are more flexible and I am learning a lot from other Moms around the neighborhood. I even signed up to help on the PTO. A Big Mommy Step for me.

No comments: